Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blogging and Learning Outcomes

This semester was the first time that I have ever used a blog for either personal or academic reasons. Over the course of the semester I learned how to use this technological tool and grown in my understanding of the course material by blogging.

The learning outcomes established by this course are:
1.    the variety of genres that readers and writers use to communicate
2.   the role of purpose and audience in writing and reading and the rhetorical voices used to address the desired purpose(s) and audience(s)
3.   the historical and contemporary theoretical models of reading and writing, including new literacy theories of reading and writing
4.   the relationship between the writing and reading processes
5.    the role of metacognition in writing proficiency and reading comprehension
6.   the types of reading and writing assignments that are developmentally appropriate for learners, including digital reading and writing assignments
7.   the role of writing assessment and evaluation in determining student writing proficiency and reading comprehension.

From blogging this semester I have gained an understanding of outcome "the role of metacognition in writing proficiency and reading comprehension." (5) Throughout this semester I have begin to write on my blog on regular basis to gain new insights into the course material. From taking time to think and write about the course material from Tompkins (2012), Hicks (2009) and other articles I have been have to think metacognitively about the authors and material and increase my comprehension, making the reading material more meaningful to my future classroom.
    
    From writing on my blog regularly I have become a more proficient writer. At first it was very difficult and time consuming to write on my blog because I did not know what I wanted to say. When given open entries, I found it difficult to decide what to write, but over the semester I now understand that the act of blogging is more about the process of thinking through the reading material and not about perfection. It is now easier to sit down and write for extending periods of time than it was in the beginning of the semester.

    This semester I learned about the different genres that both writers and readers use to communicate (1). From reading in Tompkins (2012) and participating in the genre presentations I learned about different genres, their unique components and how they can be used in respect to reading and writing in my future classroom. I have also learned about the models of reading and writing in a traditional sense and through digital new literacies (3). Hicks (2009) helped me gain insights into how writing workshop is being shaped by technology. After reading and participating in tutorials about technological tools, I feel more prepared for teaching in the "digital age."
I have also gained insights into what I like about the tools and what I am not completely convinced will be beneficial. The concerns about technology at the end of the semester include the dehumanizing effects it has and its demand in our lives. The use of technology in the classroom makes it easier to communicate but also extends the "classroom hours" because students and teachers can still communicate via email, blogs etc. after class. Technology also demands more out of the learner both inside and outside the classroom.

From writing on my blog I now have a greater understanding of the relationship between the reading and writing processes (4). From reading about how the processes are linked to actually using writing to enhance my comprehension of what I read. In addition from both the blog and the genre pieces assignment I have become more aware of the role of the purpose(s) and audience(s) when writing (2). I have been able to think about different writing pieces and determine who my desired audience is and what the piece is trying to convey. From learning about the different genres my understanding of how audience and purpose can change has grown.

One area I have always struggled with as a teacher and a student is assessing writing. From the rubric provided for this blog and from readings I have a better understanding about how to assess writing. In my future classroom I will emphasize the writing process and product. I will be able to use a blog to help determine a student's proficiency and growth over time in writing and comprehension of material through their writing. Having a rubric for students is essential to understand what is expected of different genres, types of writing and digital pieces.

From this course I have gained a sense of proficiency in what and how I will shape my writing workshop in my future classroom. I have also learned a lot about my own writing though the blog and other assignments. After completing this course I am confident that I will be able to teach writing more effectively, use new and digital literacies and connect reading and writing through different genres.



References
Hicks, T. (2009). The digital writing workshop. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann. 

Tompkins, G. E. (2012). Teaching writing: Balancing process and product                    (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.


1 comment:

  1. Krissy, I am also confident you have made great gains this semester in your personal knowledge as a reader/writer as well as your professional knowledge as a teacher of reading and writing. I hope you continue to engage in this type of reflective practice in order to further develop your knowledge and abilities in the future.

    ReplyDelete